As I have grown up as a child in the 90’s many marketing campaigns came out to increase our consumption of many foods that turn out not to be good for us. In this article, I am going to talk about those foods that have been pushed in the media and marketed to us and uncover the truth behind them and the effects they have on your body. What we eat is big in how we feel every day and down the line so being aware of what you consume is important. So here we go hope you learn and enjoy this read!
The lies we are sold about dairy
Dairy is absolutely terrible for you unless you are a baby calf.
If you remember in the 90’s the Got Milk ad’s were out in full force and telling us to drink dairy and you will have strong bones, get calcium and vitamin D and many more lies. Dairy has never been proven to provide these benefits. It has actually been proven to do the exact opposite such as leaching calcium from your bones, 75% of people in the WORLD are lactose intolerant our bodies are not made to digest dairy products. Consumption of dairy can actually increase your risk for cancer, cause anxiety, increase your risk for heart disease, aggravate IBS & other digestive issues, and much more. Nowadays there are so many non-soy dairy free Milk’s, Yogurts & Cheese’s that there is no excuse to not cut back if not fully eliminate dairy from your diet.
When you cut dairy out you will start to notice that you are:
- No longer bloated for no reason
- You feel lighter & have more energy
- You produce less mucus
- If you are a woman your cramps and pains during menstruation are reduced significantly if not completely eliminated as well as reduced hormonal side effects
- If you have acne you will see a big difference and clearing up of your skin
- and finally, you may lose a few pounds.
Sucralose (AKA Splenda) & Aspartame
When Splenda hit the shelves it was supposed to be a god send for diabetics and people trying to cut back on sugar but in all reality, it was another gimmick with fatal consequences. Sucralose is actually just chlorinated sugar. In large doses, chlorine can be harmful and a major threat to our health.
Sucralose has been shown to:
- Increases weight gain and fat storage
- Increases your appetite
- Increases cravings for carbohydrates
- Cause Headaches
- Prevents absorption of medicines
- Allergies such as acne, rash, anxiety, swelling, and much more
As for Aspartame, there have been numerous studies that have shown it to have possible links to cancer but that is not all aspartame is notorious for.
Aspartame is also known to cause:
- Birth Defects
- Emotional disorders
- Epilepsy & Seizures
Most of these go unnoticed because of lack of education and that most people fail to associate their symptoms with use of these sweeteners. There are also many researchers that have spoken out against the dangers of these sweeteners as well as backed it up with research. I can personally attest to sucralose making you Ill I ate a fit crunch bar and got a seething migraine an hour after consumption. I avoid these at all costs if I have to buy something processed I always check the label.
Artifical Dyes Blue #1,Blue #2,Citrus Red #2,Green #3,Red #3,Red #40,Yellow #5 & #6
The following dyes I am going to talk about are known to cause a variety of illnesses and issues. These dyes are found in cereal’s, candies, pet foods, beverage, makeup and drugs. Unnatural food dyes are a scary additive that is in so many different products it can be hard to avoid them altogether. Here are some facts about each dye additive and what it’s been shown to cause in animal test subjects:
- Blue #1 & #2- have been shown to cause tumors in mice
- Citrus Red, Red #3, Red #40- Citrus red is shown to cause tumors in mice , Red #3 is a known thyroid carcinogen and Red #40 is the most widely used color additive it is shown to cause hyperactivity in children, allergy like reactions in some people, and immune system tumors in mice.
- Green #3 – Shown to cause bladder and testicular tumors in male rats
- Yellow #5 & #6 – These have been shown to cause hypersensitivity reactions. Yellow #6 might trigger hyperactivity and other behavioral effects in children.
You may ask why does it matter if those things come up in mice, mice are often used as test subjects for things we will later consume. If you want to avoid as many artificial dyes as possible be sure to eat fresh fruit and vegetables and look for natural dyes like beet juice, turmeric etc.
“Healthy” frozen meals
Frozen meals came out in the 1950’s, but the 90’s are when the healthy food craze really was huge and they were releasing healthy frozen meals by weight watchers, healthy choice, and lean cuisine. Frozen foods are extremely processed and have many chemical additives. Frozen meals are also usually high in fat, calories, sodium, carbs, and sugar despite the healthy labels. Just turn over a box and you could see your whole entire days worth of sodium in one meal. It is a gimmick that has been around for a long time and it is healthier and easier to cook something simple and clean rather than rely on these meals.
Soy products remember when this was the new fad and was pushed onto every product on the market? I do and I remember when it was meant to be the all the rage in eating healthier. This started around the early 2000’s when dieting seemed to come back in style heavy and everyone wanted to eat healthier. So when they started to label everything with soy or soy alternative you thought it was so healthy but over the years the risks out weigh the benefits and consuming soy too much is actually damaging. If you decide to eat soy at all stick to fermented soy products!
Some of the scary things soy contains are:
- Phytoestrogens- Soy is higher in phytoestrogens than just about any other food source. Phytoestrogens are plant-based estrogens that mimic estrogen in our bodies. Independent research has clearly shown that consuming phytoestrogens is downright dangerous for you. Some of the things too much estrogen can do are cause breast cancer, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, infertility, and low libido.
- Phytates- Phytates are enzyme-inhibitors that block mineral absorption in human digestive tract.
- Goitrogenic- Soy is king of goitrogenic foods and will destroy your thyroid it prevents your thyroid from absorbing the proper amount of iodine you need to have a healthy thyroid.
- Trypsin Inhibitors- This is rich in trypsin inhibitors. Trypsin is a digestive enzyme we need to properly digest protein. Without enough trypsin, you’ll experience many digestive problems
*Debunking the myth that Asian people eat a lot of soy products is simple Asian people eat around 2 tablespoons of fermented soy per day which is much less than what is pushed here in the states. Fermentation also kills most of the chemicals that cause the issues soy products can cause in large amounts.
In closing, Read the sources find more sources and research for yourself as well learning about food is always a good thing to do since we need it every day for LIFE. These are things I have discovered on my journey and personally, have witnessed cutting out these products and the effect they have on your body. Remember eating clean fresh foods and making things yourself so you know what is going into the dish is always best.
Book: The China Study